Labels

Classes (3) Events (1) Intro (1) medicine cards (1) meditation (1) oracle cards (1) oracles (1) pouches (1) Readings (1) scrying (1) staves (1) tarot (1) Wands (1)

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Meditation classes

Intro:  

Meditation was something I started when I was around 14, and was part of my martial arts that I was doing at the time.   I learned as a basis a form of zen meditation, or and empty mind meditation school.   I have over the years spent time with other schools of empty and filled mind mediation.

Empty vs Full:

What is the difference?   

Well in an empty mind practice you work to clear your mind of daily distractions.   Some practices call this the monkey mind.   It's the worries of the day: did I turn off the stove, lock the house, this conversation I had with my boss did it go well, did I lose my job, etc.    attempting to achieve the stillness between breaths, a point where there is no thought just simple existence.

With a full mind meditation you are concentrating on a concept or sound to the exclusion of everything else.   Could be a drum, a singing bowl, spoken word, etc.   you concentrate on that until you achieve the same stillness that is sought after in empty mind meditation.

So the goals are the same but the practice can be unique to you.   It's got to work for you, and not everyone is cut out for every possible type of meditation out there.  I for one find listening to a guided meditation to be the most irritating experience.  I lead them for others, but I myself can't find the stillness or purpose when participating.   I do recommend the introduction class and at least one of the intermediates prior to the advanced class, for intermediate classes I recommend taking the intro first just so you have the building blocks.  

Classes:

Introduction to meditation as a practice:    For this class I talk about why you would want to do meditation.   Is it for relaxation, relieve stress, or for a magical practice.   I explain some of the different type of mediation and then lead the participants through their first guided meditation.   I use a concentrate on breath as the basis.

Intermediate - meditation as a magical practice:       For this class I build on the intro class and work on two guided meditations the first to build the inner temple.  The second to understand what meditation can do for your magical practice.    I also spend some time discussing best uses and how to maximize your practice and meditation.

Intermediate - meditation as a health benefit:     For this class I focus on using meditation as a way to achieve stress relief in 5 minutes or less.   The led meditation is 15 minutes and is based off of the intro class meditation.   This class will cover how to make your practice time compressed so you can use this in a crowded workplace for a more in the moment release of stress with no one the wiser, as well as longer version for clearing up the stress of the day.

Intermediate - moving meditation practices:     This class focuses on meditation while you do every day chores.   This is based on zen practices and a Japanese concept that is roughly translated to 'the moonlit path'.  So martial arts katas, gardening, walking, running, are all practices where with the right mind preparation you can enter a state of increased focus on the activity on hand.  

Advanced - meditation and everyday life:    This class builds on all the previous classes and brings everything to a finished state where meditation will not be something you think about doing, but will start to be as natural as breathing.   Did you know with enough practice a simple 3 breath exercise is all you need to release the stress of the day?   For magical preparations a simple breath or two and you enter the higher states.   For martial artists, a breath or two and you enter a state of awareness and focus that allows more situational awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment